BitTorrent File Sharing (BTFS) is a next generation file-sharing protocol utilizing the TRON network and the BitTorrent ecosystem.
Blockchain technology has witnessed increasing adoption since its inception, resulting in thousands of DApps serving millions of users. Current mainstream public blockchain platforms focus on computational tasks but lack cost-effective, scalable, and high-performance file storage and sharing solutions. Meanwhile, centralized storage systems inherently contain many issues:
- Centralized trust
- Prone to censorship
- High maintenance costs
- Lock-in effect
- Low fault tolerance
BTFS is purpose designed to address those issues. The integration with the BitTorrent and TRON networks will enable DApp developers to efficiently serve a wider market.
The BTFS roadmap holds many exciting new developments in the future.
- Testnet launch by the end of Q2 2019, with selected user access.
- The Mainnet launch in Q3 2019 for public access will power all TRON DApps requiring a decentralized storage network.
- Preliminary developer tools will be available and a few outstanding popular DApps will be running on the platform, spurring the nascent growth of a BTFS developers community.
- In late 2019, a comprehensive developers toolset will be launched while the BTFS Accelerator cultivates a thriving ecosystem of BTFS DApps.
- The BTT Token integration with the BTFS network works as an incentive to create a healthy, fair, and efficient file sharing & storage marketplace.
- Q1 2020 will herald BTFS integration with the BitTorrent client, along with BitTorrent's 100+ million user base.